Sunday, February 12, 2006

Three Additional Tips for Writing Your Speech

Here are some more tips for writing your speeches:

  • Engage senses- In my last post I used the example of the mouse in the maze and how he could smell, taste and touch the cheese. Engaging the senses draws your audience into your speech and helps them visualize what you are talking about. Here is another example to illustrate the effectiveness of this technique. I want you to see a nice yellow lemon in front of you. Now pick it up and feel the soft ,dimpled skin in you hands. Now I want you to smell the lemon. Smell the sweet lemon smell . I want you to peel the lemon. Feel the juice running between your fingers. I want you to take a bite of the lemon. You can taste the sweet sourness of it. Your mouth should be watering by now. I know mind is. As you can see this technique is particularly effective for topics related to food. If you have a business that involves food, use this technique in your speeches often.
  • Use conversational language- Use short concise sentences that are very conversational in manner. Avoid jargon. To be sure you are on track read your speech out loud. When you are writing your speech imagine you are having a conversation with them. Think of your audience as one person that contains all their characteristics if that makes it easier for you to get into this mode.
  • Start with a framework- One technique you can use initially is to create a framework or layout plan for your speech. Start by writing the heading "opening" on the top of your page. Leave room under that to write in your opening. Then point one, point two and point three. Under these points put the appropriate number of sub points. Finally create a heading that says closing. So it should look something like this.
Opening



point 1
Sub Point 1
Sub Point 2

Point 2
Sub Point 1
Sub Point 2

Point 3
Sub point 1
Sub Point 2


Closing

Using this approach will give you a basic outline of your speech. Then you can write your speech verbatim following this outline. If you have your speech well enough memorized you can use the outline for your notes during your speech. When I write a speech I usually just write the framework out and then as I practice I will elaborate on each point extemporaneously. So each time I deliver it it is not totally the same. If it is a topic I don't know as much about I may still write it out verbatim and then memorize it. Iit took me a long time to get to this point. In the beginning I would have my word for word script in front of me to refer to during my presentation.

If you follow these three tips you will definitely improve your speech writing skills. Your best speech writing technique is practice. The more speeches you write the better you will become at it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home